ST. LOUIS, May 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Peabody Energy (NYSE: BTU) Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gregory H. Boyce today cited a number of 2013 accomplishments and discussed broad market conditions at the company's annual shareholder's meeting.
"2013 was a year of substantial achievement despite market headwinds," Boyce said. "We matched our record safety performance from 2012, increased productivity, reduced costs, lowered capital investments, generated solid cash flow and repaid debt."
While plentiful global supply weighed on coal pricing and coal equities in 2013, Boyce noted that demand continues to grow in the United States and around the world and fundamentals are expected to further improve. The United States is experiencing a sharp recovery in coal demand, with coal-fueled generation rising to 43 percent of electricity generation compared with a low of 31 percent two years ago. Global metallurgical and thermal coal demand is expected to set another record in 2014 as both emerging and developed nations increase consumption.
"The world continues to turn to coal as the fastest-growing major fuel, and coal is the energy source projected to surpass oil in coming years as the largest global fuel," said Boyce. "Peabody's operational excellence, cost reduction and capital discipline distinguishes the company, while our superior people and portfolio provide significant upside as markets improve."Boyce said coal demand continues to grow, and fundamentals are expected to improve throughout the year. Highlights from 2013 include:
- A global incidence rate of 1.87 per 200,000 work hours, equaling a record first set in 2012;
- Cost-containment efforts that led to $340 million in savings;
- A 67 percent reduction in capital expenditures;
- Operating cash flows in excess of $700 million that allowed Peabody to repay more than $200 million in debt; and
- More than 25 awards for safety, financial performance, environmental excellence and social responsibility.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV