NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Dean Foods Co. (DF) are down -4.63% to $14.64 after the company reported a first quarter 2014 loss from continuing operations of 9 cents per share, compared to first quarter 2013 earnings of $5.30 per share.
On an adjusted basis, the first quarter 2014 diluted loss from continuing operations was 5 cents per share, compared to first quarter 2013 adjusted earnings of 31 cents per share.
First quarter 2014 operating income totaled $5 million, compared to first quarter 2013 operating income of $30 million. First quarter 2014 adjusted operating income totaled $7 million, compared to $74 million in the year-ago period.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Food Products industry and the overall market, DEAN FOODS CO's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- DF, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for DEAN FOODS CO is rather low; currently it is at 20.86%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -1.64% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$72.19 million or 183.41% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DF Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV