Illinois small business owners are less optimistic about their local economy than their national counterparts, according to results of the 2014 U.S. Bank Small Business Annual Survey. The survey reveals trends in economic sentiment, issues of greatest concern to small business owners, plans for future hiring and capital expenditures, and innovation.
Now in its fifth year, the survey polled 3,173 small businesses during the first quarter of 2014, including 200 in Illinois, with $10 million or less in annual revenue across the 25 states where U.S. Bank provides small business banking services. A full breakdown of the survey is available online, as well as local highlights.
“We’re seeing small business owners here move forward cautiously, waiting for sustained demand before making big investments in their business. But by adding an employee or embracing new business strategies, it’s clear they’re looking for a competitive edge to position their business for growth when the economy improves,” said Greg Fioresi, regional small business banking manager for U.S. Bank in Chicago.
Economic OutlookIllinois small business owners’ views of the country’s economy are in line with their national counterparts, as approximately half (53 percent) said they believe it is in a recovery. However, more than two-thirds (69 percent) said they believe the state’s economy is weaker than the national economy. This is significantly higher than the nationwide average of less than one-third (30 percent) of small business owners saying their local economy was weaker than the national. Describe local economy as weaker than the national economy:
|Illinois small business owners||60%||67%||69%||69%|
|National small business owners (average)||41%||28%||28%||30%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV