NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Dean Foods Co. (DF) are lower -3.39% to $14.83 on Thursday after the food and beverage company reported a net loss of -$9 million for the 2014 first quarter, compared to a net income of $493 million from the same period last year.
The company reported an earnings loss of -9 cents per diluted share for the most recent quarter, compared to earnings of $5.30 per diluted share from the 2013 first quarter.
Dean Foods' net sales were $2.3 billion for the quarter, remaining the same from the year ago quarter.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
TheStreet Ratings team rates DEAN FOODS CO as a Hold with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate DEAN FOODS CO (DF) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity and reasonable valuation levels. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income, poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Food Products industry and the overall market, DEAN FOODS CO's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- DF, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.5%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for DEAN FOODS CO is rather low; currently it is at 20.86%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -1.64% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$72.19 million or 183.41% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DF Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV