NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Cincinnati Bell Inc. (CBB) are up by 11.84% to $3.59 on Thursday after the company reported wireline revenue and adjusted EBITDA both increased year-over-year for the 2014.
The company, which provides data and voice communications services over wireline and wireless networks, said wireline revenue increased 2% to $184 million, from $180 million for the corresponding quarter last year.
Cincinnati Bell's adjusted EBITDA was $106 million for the most recent quarter, a $1 million increase from the year ago quarter.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Net income was $7 million, or 2 cents per share, compared to a net loss of -$37 million from the same period last year.TheStreet Ratings team rates CINCINNATI BELL INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate CINCINNATI BELL INC (CBB) a SELL. This is driven by multiple weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, weak operating cash flow, generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself and feeble growth in its earnings per share." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 186.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$9.80 million to -$28.10 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $19.00 million or 67.07% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- In its most recent trading session, CBB has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- CINCINNATI BELL INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has reported a trend of declining earnings per share over the past year. However, the consensus estimate suggests that this trend should reverse in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CINCINNATI BELL INC swung to a loss, reporting -$0.32 versus $0.01 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.10 versus -$0.32).
- CBB, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 2.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 17.7%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CBB Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV