DaVita HealthCare Partners
Last up on our list of big-name trades is DaVita HealthCare Partners (DVA), a name that's been consolidating sideways after staging a 21% move higher over the last six months. That sideways churn is setting the stage for a big leg up in May.
DaVita is forming a rectangle pattern, a price setup that's formed by a pair of horizontal resistance and support levels that basically "box in" shares between $70 and $67. Rectangles are "if/then patterns." Put a different way, if DVA breaks out through resistance at $70, then traders have a buy signal. Otherwise, if the stock violates support at $67, then the high-probability trade is a sell. Since DaVita's price action leading up to the rectangle was an uptrend, it favors a move to the upside through $70.Why all of that significance at $70? It all comes down to buyers and sellers. Price patterns are a good quick way to identify what's going on in the price action, but they're not the actual reason a stock is tradable. Instead, the "why" comes down to basic supply and demand for DaVita's stock. The $70 resistance level is a price where there has been an excess of supply of shares; in other words, it's a spot where sellers have previously been more eager to step in and take gains than buyers have been to buy. That's what makes a breakout above $70 so significant -- the move means that buyers are finally strong enough to absorb all of the excess supply above that price level. Wait for shares to catch a bid above resistance before you buy it. To see this week's trades in action, check out the Must-See Charts portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV