Investors cheered these aggressive goals when they were announced over the past year. Tesla's growth capabilities explain why the stock became one of the best momentum stories on the market. But aggressive goals aren't cheap.
It wasn't all about spending, however. Recall, Tesla also had to deal with Model S battery fires, which prompted a government investigation. As it stands, Tesla also incurred costs to install additional safety equipment on its new and existing cars.
To that end, I don't believe Tesla's earnings results were as surprising as some investors are making them out to be. The company telegraphed these numbers several quarters ago.
The good news is that, while reiterating its plan to sell more than 35,000 cars this year, the company said it expects to deliver 7,500 Model S sedans in the second quarter. All while expecting production to increase 13% to 19%.Tesla will continue to be a polarizing story. Shares closed Wednesday at $201.35. The stock was down close to 8% in after-hours trade to around $186. The stock was at $189.61 as of 10:40 a.m. Thursday. This has all of the makings of an overreaction. But with negative momentum on its side, it's best to wait until the dust settles. >>Read More: Stay Away From Infosys >>Read More: Video: Silver Volatility Hits a Decade-Long Low, and Here's How to Trade It >>Read More: Why HP May Be Next Cloud Bubble to Pop At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @Richard_WSPB
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV