3 Stocks Pushing The Telecommunications Industry Lower
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.The Telecommunications industry as a whole closed the day down 1.2% versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.6%. Laggards within the Telecommunications industry included Technical Communications (TCCO), down 2.4%, Otelco (OTEL), down 1.7%, RELM Wireless (RWC), down 2.1%, Glowpoint (GLOW), down 3.4% and I D Systems (IDSY), down 4.8%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:I D Systems (IDSY) is one of the companies that pushed the Telecommunications industry lower today. I D Systems was down $0.25 (4.8%) to $4.99 on light volume. Throughout the day, 12,007 shares of I D Systems exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 25,100 shares. The stock ranged in price between $4.89-$5.50 after having opened the day at $5.50 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $5.24. I.D. Systems, Inc. develops, markets, and sells wireless solutions for managing and securing industrial vehicles, transportation assets, and rental vehicles. I D Systems has a market cap of $67.0 million and is part of the technology sector. Shares are down 9.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are 2 analysts who rate I D Systems a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and none rate it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates I D Systems as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in the company's earnings per share.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on IDSY go as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 7.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 6.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- IDSY's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.01 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, IDSY has a quick ratio of 2.23, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- 35.31% is the gross profit margin for I D SYSTEMS INC which we consider to be strong. Despite the high profit margin, it has decreased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, IDSY's net profit margin of -27.24% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 195.8% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$1.05 million to -$3.09 million.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, I D SYSTEMS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV