3 Stocks Pushing The Materials & Construction Industry Lower
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.The Materials & Construction industry as a whole was unchanged today versus the S&P 500, which was up 0.6%. Laggards within the Materials & Construction industry included Avalon Holdings (AWX), down 2.0%, Jewett-Cameron Trading (JCTCF), down 1.8%, Skyline (SKY), down 5.3%, Guanwei Recycling (GPRC), down 12.2% and James Hardie Industries (JHX), down 3.3%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:Apogee (APOG) is one of the companies that pushed the Materials & Construction industry lower today. Apogee was down $0.65 (2.1%) to $29.63 on average volume. Throughout the day, 161,271 shares of Apogee exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 196,500 shares. The stock ranged in price between $29.04-$30.19 after having opened the day at $30.16 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $30.28. Apogee Enterprises, Inc., together with its subsidiaries, engages in the design and development of glass products, services, and systems primarily in North America, Europe, and Brazil. Apogee has a market cap of $908.7 million and is part of the industrial goods sector. Shares are down 15.7% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. Currently there are no analysts who rate Apogee a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 2 rate it a hold.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates Apogee as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and reasonable valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on APOG go as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 7.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 19.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- APOG's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.06 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 80.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 26.30% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, APOG should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- APOGEE ENTERPRISES INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, APOGEE ENTERPRISES INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.95 versus $0.67 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.42 versus $0.95).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV