METAIRIE, La., May 7, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- State Investors Bancorp, Inc. (the "Company") (Nasdaq:SIBC), the holding company of State-Investors Bank, reported net income for the quarter ended March 31, 2014, of $229,000, an increase of $102,000, as compared to net income of $127,000 reported for the quarter ended March 31, 2013. Earnings per share, basic and diluted, were $0.10 and $0.09 for the quarter ended March 31, 2014, compared to basic and diluted earnings per share of $0.05 for the quarter ended March 31, 2013.
The increase in net income for the quarter ended March 31, 2014 resulted primarily from a $175,000, or 6.8%, increase in total interest income and a decrease of $3,000, or 0.5%, in total interest expense. This was partially offset by a decrease of $5,000, or 10.0%, in non-interest income, an increase of $20,000, or 1.2%, in total non-interest expense, and an increase of $51,000, or 56.0%, in the provision for income taxes. Net interest income increased $178,000, or 9.3%, due to the $175,000 increase in total interest income as a result of an overall increase in interest earning assets. The decrease in non-interest income was due to a $5,000, or a 10.0%, decrease in service charges, fees and other operating income compared to the quarter ended March 31, 2013. The increase in non-interest expense was primarily due to an increase in data processing expense of $19,000, or 16.1%, as well an increase of $19,000, or 2.0%, in salaries and employee benefits, partially offset by decreases of $8,000, or 44.4%, in advertising expense, $3,000, or 5.2%, in security expense, $3,000, or 3.5% in professional fees, $3,000, or 1.5%, in occupancy expense, and $1,000, or 0.5%, in other non-interest expense. A $50,000 provision for loan losses was made during the quarter ended March 31, 2014 the same as the quarter ended March 31, 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV