JACKSONVILLE, Fla., May 7, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Body Central Corp. (Nasdaq:BODY) today announced financial results for the first quarter of 2014.
Highlights for the thirteen weeks ended March 29, 2014:
- Net revenues for the quarter decreased 26.6% to $59.7 million, compared to $81.4 million for the first quarter of 2013.
- Store sales decreased 24.8% to $54.6 million due to a comparable-store sales decrease of 26.8%, partially offset by a net increase of 3 stores from the same quarter last year.
- Direct sales decreased by 41.7% to $5.1 million from $8.8 million in the same quarter last year.
- The loss from operations was $9.4 million, as compared to income from operations of $3.9 million for the first quarter in 2013.
- The net loss was $9.3 million, or $(0.56) per diluted share based on 16.4 million weighted average shares outstanding. Net income for the first quarter of 2013 was $2.7 million, or $0.17 per diluted share based on 16.3 million weighted average shares outstanding.
- The Company closed 12 stores during the first quarter and operated 282 stores as of March 29, 2014.
Brian Woolf, Body Central's CEO, stated: "Our first quarter results were consistent with the discussion on our March 25, 2014 year-end conference call. We saw positive comp sales in bottoms and lingerie, along with improving trends in shoes. This performance was however overshadowed by the continued challenges in tops and dresses. Our direct business continues to transition from a historical catalog driven business, to an e-commerce driven business. While the e-commerce sales continue to grow, the catalog side has become unprofitable and less relevant to our customer. As a result, we will continue to evaluate the merits of our catalog business for the balance of the year."Mr. Woolf further stated: "We continue to monitor inventory levels closely while refining assortments and messaging that can stimulate traffic and sales. We remain focused that taking these steps will improve the customer experience in both our stores and e-commerce businesses, and ultimately improve our financial performance."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts