NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Yahoo! (YHOO) shares were unable to stem their dive Wednesday amid renewed questions about the value of the Internet company's core business as well as its future growth prospects after Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba filed to go public.
Yahoo! shares tumbled nearly 6.6% to $34.07 in afternoon trading.
Alibaba filed a prospectus for a public offering using a $1 billion placeholder on Tuesday while remaining undecided on whether to list on the New York Stock Exchange or the Nasdaq. The lobbying by both sides is expected to be fierce. The filing confirmed that Alibaba has 2.32 billion shares outstanding at an internal valuation of $50 a share, or $116 billion in total market capitalization.
Yahoo! owns 524 million shares or 22.6% of those shares outstanding, or about $26 billion. Yahoo! will be required to sell a 9% stake in Alibaba during the offering, raising an estimated $10 billion to $15 billion.
Adding together the roughly $26 billion stake that Yahoo! has in Alibaba to its roughly $9 billion stake in Yahoo! Japan produces an estimated $35 billion in holdings for Yahoo!, making up the bulk of the company's total market capitalization of $35.48 billion. All together, it confirms a very weak market value for Yahoo's core business.
That business will come under increasing scrutiny as Alibaba becomes a much smaller part of Yahoo!'s revenue trajectory with its debut and investors are soon to be given the option of buying directly into the fiercely competitive growth story of Alibaba rather than indirectly through Yahoo!, as the IPO enthusiasts would have previously done.
Wells Fargo analysts are now assuming an approximately $170 billion valuation of Alibaba based on their sum-of-the-parts valuation model, dwarfing Yahoo's current capitalization.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV