NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Tesla Motors Inc. (TSLA - Get Report) are down -3.57% to $199.98. The electric vehicle manufacturer reports 2014 first quarter earnings results after today's market close.
The company could report earnings of 7 cents per share, excluding some items, according to the average of 10 analysts' estimates compiled by Bloomberg.
A year ago Tesla earned 12 cents per share on the same basis, its first ever profit, helped by a surge in California zero-emission vehicle credit sales and savings from the early repayment of a federal loan, Bloomberg noted.
Analysts project a loss on a GAAP basis.
Revenue may reach a record $704.5 million, the average estimate of 10 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg, up 25% from $561.8 million a year ago.Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks
- TSLA's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 100.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is somewhat low, currently at 0.91, and is less than that of the industry average, implying that there has been a relatively successful effort in the management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.33, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Automobiles industry and the overall market, TESLA MOTORS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for TESLA MOTORS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 31.56%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -2.64% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TSLA Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts