Live Nation reported a loss of -16 cents a share in the first quarter, beating to Capital IQ Consensus Estimate of a loss of -36 cents a share by 20 cents. Revenue grew 22.3% to $1.123 billion for the quarter. Analysts expected revenue of $963.8 million for the quarter.
"Our Concerts division delivered revenue of $663 million in the first quarter of 2014, an increase of 29% over the same period in 2013," president and CEO Michael Rapino said in a press release. "This strong revenue growth was driven primarily by more arena events which drove improvements in AOI of 80% and in operating income of 15%. Tickets sold through May 2 of this year for all events in 2014 are up 5% year-on-year."
Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSELL NOW: If you own any of the 900 stocks that TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified as a 'Sell'...you could potentially lose EVERYTHING in the next 6-12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates LIVE NATION ENTERTAINMENT as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate LIVE NATION ENTERTAINMENT (LYV) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed -- some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including poor profit margins and weak operating cash flow." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- LYV's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 5.1%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 12.2%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 50.58% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 70.61% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock despite its gains in the past year.
- Even though the current debt-to-equity ratio is 1.28, it is still below the industry average, suggesting that this level of debt is acceptable within the Media industry. Regardless of the somewhat mixed results with the debt-to-equity ratio, the company's quick ratio of 0.78 is weak.
- The gross profit margin for LIVE NATION ENTERTAINMENT is rather low; currently it is at 24.01%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -5.08% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has decreased to $152.93 million or 44.99% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing the cash generation rate to the industry average, the firm's growth is significantly lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LYV Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.