NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Walt Disney (DIS) shares were Wednesday after the world's largest entertainment company reported that profit in its recently completed quarter climbed to $1.9 billion from $1.5 billion a year ago.
The biggest driver to expanding margins was the blockbuster hit, Frozen. Disney made it clear that it plans to continue to build on that franchise. In fact, Frozen, which wasn't expected to do as well as it did at the box-office, has been elevated by Chief Executive, Bob Iger to one of the company's Top 5 franchises.
If the economic recovery gains further strength, Disney's amusement parks the world over are expected to welcome more visitors.
Demand for Frozen merchandise is hot, so much so that mommy bloggers have even noticed eBay sellers listing limited edition Frozen character dolls for as much as $4,500. Global success of Frozen has also boosted the film to become the best-selling title ever released on Blu-ray and digital. That's quite an accomplished considering all the movies that have come before it but Frozen's success says as much about Disney's presence in international markets.During the company's investor conference call earlier today, Iger said that demand for Frozen merchandise helped boost foot-traffic at The Disney Stores, where 9 out of the 10 highest selling items in the quarter was merchandise related to the film. Meanwhile, discount retailers, Walmart (WMT) and Target (TGT) have also been light on inventory.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV