NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- For decades the WWE Championship has been the top prize in the world of professional wrestling. Every wrestler, or "superstar," as the company prefers to call them, dreams of attaining the coveted belt. It's an honor that only a few who train their entire lives get to have.
Trying to make a list of the top wrestlers in the history of the company is difficult, and there's always a few that get left behind. This list of 20 lists some of the best, though there are many others who deserve to be called the best. Some of the wrestlers on this list made history with their historic title reigns, others are known for other accomplishments in the ring, and still others stand out for everything they've done outside the ring. No matter the reason, there's a case to be made for all of these men to be named one of the best.
Note: while WWE used to be the WWF, the company has switched to using "WWE" in all references to the past, so we will do the same.
Eddie GuerreroEddie Guerrero is the best known wrestler in the Guerrero family, and one of the most talented wrestlers in the history of the WWE. Guerrero held a total of 23 championships throughout his career, though he only held the WWE Championship once. Guerrero won the championship from Brock Lesnar at No Way Out 2004, and successfully defended the title against Kurt Angle at WrestleMania XX. Guerrero would then continue to feud with Angle who took over as General Manager of SmackDown, while feuding with John "Bradshaw" Layfield for the title. Since his championship reign wasn't terribly long, Guerrero's time with the WWE is best defined by his Latino Heat gimmick and his "I lie! I cheat! I steal!" catchphrase. Despite playing the bad guy Guerrero proved popular with fans. How could you hate someone who came out to the ring in a ridiculous low-rider all the time?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV