The company reported profit of $39.3 million, or 4 cents a share, down from $48.1 million, or 5 cents a share, in the same period one year earlier. Adjusted earnings were $48.4 million, or 5 cents a share. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected earnings of 7 cents a share.
Revenue declined year over year to $1.15 billion from $1.21 billion. Analysts expected revenue of $1.17 billion.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. The stock was down 2.52% to $5.81 at 10:06 a.m. ---------- TheStreet Ratings team rates FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP (FTR) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, good cash flow from operations, expanding profit margins, solid stock price performance and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Diversified Telecommunication Services industry. The net income increased by 172.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $24.88 million to $67.76 million.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to $420.29 million or 7.16% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -11.15%.
- 46.88% is the gross profit margin for FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 5.74% trails the industry average.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 250.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 43.93% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FRONTIER COMMUNICATIONS CORP reported lower earnings of $0.12 versus $0.14 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.23 versus $0.12).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: FTR Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV