- Serious about Psychology: 73% of pre-meds say psychology—the study of the human mind and behavior—is a relevant field of study for future doctors. This consensus meshes well with the content of the new MCAT, which will include a semester’s worth of college-level introductory psychology.
- Digging into Data: Just over half (52%) say analytics and data analysis are relevant areas of study for future doctors. This thinking also aligns with the new MCAT, which will include a Research Design section that focuses on the fundamentals of creating research projects, research bias, faulty results, and variable relationships. Additionally, there will be a Graphical Analysis and Data Interpretation section that focuses on deriving conclusions and drawing inferences from visual data, including figures, graphs, and data tables.
- Se habla español: Almost half (48%) of pre-meds surveyed say knowing Spanish is an important skill set for doctors to have. While the new MCAT doesn’t measure test takers’ foreign-language skills, pre-meds may benefit from squeezing in a few semesters worth of Spanish classes. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Spanish is the primary language spoken at home by almost 37 million Americans—more than double what it was in 1990.
- Of lesser value...: The areas of study which pre-meds think are less relevant to future doctors include sociology (46%), anthropology/cultural studies (38%), and philosophy (14%).
Kaplan Test Prep Survey: Pre-Med Students Say Tomorrow's Doctors Should Be Part-Psychologist, Part-Data Scientist, And Part-Spanish-Speaking
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.