The Western Union Foundation today announced its first quarter 2014 grant commitment of US$1.87 million, which will be distributed to nonprofit, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) around the world.
The grants help increase access to – and improve the quality of – education programs in multiple regions. Through its signature program Education for Better, the Western Union Foundation is committed to supporting secondary and vocational education programs that facilitate financial and economic opportunity for individuals, their families, and their communities.
The highlight of the Q1 grant cycle is a US$350,000 commitment to Teach For All, a global network of independent social enterprises that works to expand educational opportunity in more than 30 countries. Teach For All partners enlist their nations' most promising future leaders to commit two years to teach in high-need communities, and foster their ongoing leadership as a long-term force for educational equity.
“ Education for Better provides assistance for education programs in key markets, and leverages the strength of The Western Union Company’s global network to achieve a tangible social impact on the communities and customers we serve,” said Patrick Gaston, president of the Western Union Foundation. “Our relationships with NGOs around the world are an important part of the Education for Better program, and demonstrate our continued commitment to setting a global framework for financial inclusion and economic development.”According to Wendy Kopp, CEO of Teach For All, “The problem of inequity in education is global, and solving it requires the commitment and investment of partners across sectors and borders. Having the Western Union Foundation’s continued commitment to the work of Teach For All is a tremendous step forward in supporting and making connections between our 33 partner organizations.” Since the launch of Education for Better in the fourth quarter of 2012, the Western Union Foundation has committed nearly US$9.1 million in key markets around the globe, in support of the program. The Foundation’s Education for Better grants have reached more than 140 NGOs in 46 countries. Additional NGOs receiving a grant as part of the Western Union Foundation first quarter 2014 cycle include:
- In collaboration with Western Union Agent Kenya Commercial Bank, The Western Union Foundation will support the KCB Foundation’s scholarship program, which provides assistance to 200 students in Kenya, including increased access to secondary school education and mentoring programs.
- A grant to the Eden Social Welfare Foundation in Taiwan, funded in conjunction with Western Union Agent King’s Town Bank, will support the Elephant Family Project for Disadvantaged Communities, which provides after-school tutoring services and skills workshops that help build economic, employment and educational opportunities for students in Taiwan.
- The Institute for International Education in the United States and Canada will receive a grant that will support the Western Union Family Scholarship Program. Now in its 10 th cycle, the Family Scholarship Program is intended to help two members of the same family move up the economic development ladder through education. Approximately 11 families will receive support for educational activity as a result of the Western Union Foundation grant.
- A grant to Junior Achievement Ecuador, funded in conjunction with Western Union Agent DHL Express (Ecuador), will help provide entrepreneurship training and self-sufficiency training to low-income Ecuadorian students, so they can succeed in the global economy.
- The SS Educational Trust in Pakistan will receive a grant to support the SS Public School - Education for All Program. The grant will be used to purchase text books, and assist in the development of a science and computer-skills laboratory, which will serve nearly 600 underprivileged students, and increase the quality of education and facilities standards in the country. The grant was funded in collaboration with Western Union Agent Habib Qatar International Exchange Pakistan Ltd.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV