NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "Some people are going to be shocked that Gulfport Energy (GPOR) is down very big today," TheStreet's Jim Cramer, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, said on CNBC's "Cramer's Stop Trading" segment.
The company missed on top- and bottom-line expectations and provided lower-than-expected production growth estimates.
Cramer said Gulfport Energy is drilling in the Utica shale, which has turned out to be "spotty." The company said it is finding natural gas, when it was thought to be drilling for oil.
The same thing happened to Chesapeake Energy (CHK), he said, adding that Gulfport Energy "is in the wrong place."Investors "need growth," and should be looking for companies that have exposure to the Permian basin and the Eagle Ford shale, he suggested. Companies such as Pioneer Natural Resources (PXD) and EOG Resources (EOG) have plenty of opportunity, the latter of which has "40% production growth," Cramer concluded.
-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV