Zillow is expected to post a loss. In a market environment where companies hitting profit marks are experiencing large stock price slides, the prospects for Zillow do not look good.
Current analyst estimates call for Zillow to report a loss per share of 8 cents vs. earnings per share of 1 cent posted in the year-ago report. Sales are expected to grow to $63.2 million, for a 62% growth rate. That sounds great, but it's the lowest quarterly growth rate since the company went public.
A look at the Zillow chart shows serious downside risk to the 200-day moving average, currently at $85.70. Zillow saw this area a mere week ago when the stock fell from $102.50 to $86.87 in one trading session.Price drops of $15 to $20 occur with regularity for Zillow stock, and today's earnings report is likely to kick off the latest drop. A break below $85 puts the next support zone for Zillow at $70 to $77. A breakout would occur on a move above $111.35, an unlikely scenario in today's market environment. With high-beta growth stocks seeing their shares hammered in recent weeks, Zillow has seen its stock price trade to new all-time highs. Today's report may finally take the shine off this bloated tech stock if the action in other high-flying stocks such as Twitter (TWTR) or Zulily (ZU) have proven in recent days. In Tuesday's earnings report Zulily beat and raised its guidance for the year -- yet the stock shed 17%. Tomorrow may see Zillow finally join the recent tank party seen in many other over-valued stocks. >>Read More: Surviving Whole Foods In a Walmart World >>Read More: Jim Cramer: Alibaba Is an Unstoppable Freight Train >>Read More: Tesla and the Curious Case of Elon Musk At the time of publication, the author owned Twitter but held no positions in any of the other stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV