What Happens After the Markman Hearing?
The Markman hearing begins on May 15. Some kind of ruling should be rendered between 60 to 180 days later.
Although the ruling is only preliminary, it will color the narrative. The judge's opinion will very likely determine which party has a better position.
Assuming the hearing ruling doesn't lead to a settlement, legal discovery and related formalities will follow, with a trial date probably set for some time in the first or second quarter 2015.
What Range of Outcomes Are Most Likely?
While anything can happen in court, let's keep it simple. The most probable range of outcomes look like this:
- Celgene wins on all counts; its patents are upheld and Revlimid is protected until 2027. Celgene cleans up.
- Celgene has the upper hand, but to avoid more litigation risk, time and an overhang on its stock, it decides make the problem go away by forfeiting a couple of years of exclusivity on the product. Solid outcome for Celgene.
- Celgene finds itself looking at an uphill battle, seeing a reasonable chance of losing the 2019 polymorph patents, and settles upon several years of exclusivity, thereby affecting the company's growth trajectory. Not-so-good result.
- Celgene loses its exclusivity to sell Revlimid in 2019; generic forms are permitted. Bad news for Celgene.
So....how to handicap this? Well, investing is about probabilities, not certainties. This patent issue has that investment concept written all over it.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV