NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- First Solar (FSLR), one of the largest alternative energy developers, has posted a solid first quarter with earnings nearly double what analysts expected and sales closing in on the billion-dollar mark.
Shares are popping in post-market trading, gaining 4.1% to reach $70.20.
Over its March-ending quarter, the Arizona-based business earned $1.10 a share, or $112 million, compared to 69 cents a share, or $61.5 million, a year earlier. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters forecast earnings of 56 cents a share, or $51.2 million in net income.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV