First Solar, Inc. (Nasdaq: FSLR) today announced financial results for the first quarter of 2014. Net sales were $950 million in the quarter, an increase of $182 million from the fourth quarter of 2013. The sequential increase in net sales is primarily attributable to achieving revenue recognition on our Campo Verde project.
The Company reported first quarter GAAP net income per fully diluted share of $1.10, compared to $0.64 in the prior quarter. The increase in net income compared to the prior quarter was primarily due to higher net sales, project cost improvements, and lower restructuring and asset impairment charges.
Cash and Marketable Securities at the end of the first quarter were approximately $1.4 billion, a decrease of approximately $385 million compared to the end of the fourth quarter of 2013. Cash flows used in operations were $318 million in the first quarter. The use of cash in the quarter is primarily related to ongoing construction of projects which have not yet been sold.
Based on the results of the first quarter the Company is increasing full-year 2014 guidance as follows:
- Gross Margin percentage of 17-18%, compared to prior guidance of 16-18%
- Operating Income of $290 to $340 million, compared to prior guidance of $270 to $320 million
- Earnings per fully diluted share guidance of $2.40 to $2.80, compared to prior guidance of $2.20 to $2.60
- Operating cash flow guidance of $300 - $500 million, compared to prior guidance of $250 – $450 million
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV