NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Internet routing hardware maker Cisco Systems (CSCO) is expected to report earnings after the market closes on May 14. Investors aren't expecting an improvement in earnings. The average estimate is currently 48 cents a share, falling 3 cents (5.9%) from 51 cents during the matching period last year.
Analysts are estimating as low as 47 cents per share, up to the most optimistic estimate of 49 cents per share. I believe Cisco will top the consensus and earns at least 49 cents.
During the last 52 weeks, the stock traded in a range of $20.22 to $26.49, and we are more or less right in the middle, albeit just above the 200-day moving average.If we take a look at the options market, clues will emerge to what other investors are anticipating and thinking. Currently, based on call and put option trading, the market is expecting about a 6% or less price move. Options are pricing in a range of $21.57 to the downside and $24.31 at the upper end. In order to profit from buying puts or calls, Cisco will have to move beyond those levels or you'll risk being right and still losing. The flip-side is if you think the shares will stay within that range, you can sell option premium in the earnings front contract and profit if you're correct.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV