NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Alco Stores Inc. (ALCS) are down -11.30% to $8.55 after the general merchandise retailer reported operating results for its fourth quarter and fiscal year ended February 2, 2014.
Net sales from continuing operations during the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014 (13 weeks) decreased -8.9% to $130.9 million, compared to $143.6 million in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013 (14 weeks). Excluding the 14th week of the fiscal 2013 quarter, net sales from continuing operations decreased -4.7%.
Same-store sales, excluding fuel centers, decreased -11.7% to $124.8 million during the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014. Excluding the 14th week of the fiscal 2013 quarter, same-store sales, excluding fuel centers, decreased -7.6%.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Multiline Retail industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1111.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from -$1.37 million to -$16.64 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.11 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.18, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Multiline Retail industry and the overall market, ALCO STORES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for ALCO STORES INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 26.18%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -15.59% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- ALCO STORES INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has not demonstrated a clear trend in earnings over the past 2 years, making it difficult to accurately predict earnings for the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ALCO STORES INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.58 versus $0.48 in the prior year.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ALCS Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV