Where does water come from and how does it get into our homes? How is it cleaned before we drink it? American Water (NYSE: AWK), the largest publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company, will be providing the answers to such questions during Drinking Water Week, May 4-10, 2014. Supporting this year’s theme, “What do you know about H 2O?” the company will be joining the water community nationwide in the American Water Works Association-sponsored observance to help consumers appreciate the essential role water plays in public health, fire protection, economic vitality and overall quality of life. With current trends in population, economic growth, energy, and climate change affecting water usage and the critical infrastructure, the water systems need to function properly now more than ever.
“While we are constantly investing in and working to improve the water infrastructure in all our systems nationwide, we want consumers to be conscious of how they value, use and access water," said Dr. Mark LeChevallier, Director of Innovation and Environmental Stewardship, American Water. "So, in observance of Drinking Water Week, we are encouraging individuals to get to ‘know their H 2O,’ and help preserve our most precious resource for future generations."
Consumers can help maintain the quality and supply of our drinking water through the following actions:
- Be conscious of your daily water use and take the necessary steps in your home to be water smart and help preserve this precious natural resource.
- Be sure that leaking pipes and faucets — indoors and outdoors — are repaired.
- Take care in the use of garden, lawn, garage or other home products and ensure that they inadvertently do not find their way into groundwater.
- Dispose of chemicals or other potentially harmful products properly and do not pour them directly into home drains, the sewer, street drains or the lawn.
- Learn more about your water through annual local water quality reports. American Water customers can access their report by zip code on the company’s website at http://www.amwater.com/customer-service/water-quality-reports.html.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV