Proto Labs (NYSE: PRLB) has presented a Cool Idea! Award to the team at BlueRobotics for their development work on the Thruster-100 propulsion system for robotic marine vehicles.
Thruster-100, designed by BlueRobotics, named Cool Idea! Award recipient. The device can be used for aquatic exploration. (Photo: BlueRobotics)
BlueRobotics designed the compact Thruster-100 as a low-cost motor and propeller unit that users can affix to remotely operated underwater vehicles and small surface vessels for aquatic exploration. A plastic framework integrated with a brushless electric motor enables the thruster to operate continuously for months at a time, navigate into deep waters and resist the corrosive nature of ocean saltwater.
By drastically reducing the hardware expense typically associated with buying a thruster, the company hopes to provide a more accessible entry point for hobbyists, educators, students and professionals. “There's a developing community of people online who are doing marine robotics projects for fun and ecological reasons and they're all having the same problem — they don't have an affordable underwater thruster,” says engineer and BlueRobotics co-founder, Rustom Jehangir.
Applications for marine robotics vary from studying ocean currents and temperatures to photographing reefs and sea creatures to surveying underwater wreckage. With the Thruster-100, the goal is to inexpensively power more exploration like that. “We hope the thruster will serve as a foundation for which other people can build things,” explains Joe Spadola, co-founder at BlueRobotics.As part of the Cool Idea! Award grant from Proto Labs, the company will receive a range of thermoplastic injection-molded parts including nose, propeller, nozzle and tail cone components along with mounting brackets. BlueRobotics plans to make its Thruster-100 available to customers later this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV