Update (4:25 p.m.): Updated with Tuesday market close information.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Twitter (TWTR) fell more than 17.5% to an all-time low of $31.72 on Tuesday amid the expiration of a six-month share lock-up period that had prevented the sale of approximately 82% of the company's outstanding equity.
The likely sell-off would likely put even more pressure on the stock, which has been declining since April 29 when the social media company reported weak quarterly results. Twitter has met its revenue targets in both quarters since its IPO on Nov. 7, 2013, but concerns about user growth and levels of engagement has eliminated $18 billion of market value, or approximately half of its market capitalization.
Twitter co-founders Jack Dorsey and Evan Williams and CEO Dick Costolo said in April they had no intentions to sell their shares after the lock-up expired. But other shareholders could very well sell their stake, especially because none of the insiders sold their stock during the IPO.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. The stock continued to drop in after-market activity. More than 134 million shares changed hands, which dwarfed the average volume of 13,251,000. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet's Stocks Under $10 has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Jim Cramer Is Worried About Twitter Lockup Expiration, JPM Downgrade
More videos from Debra Borchardt
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV