For the fiscal second quarter Emerson posted earnings of 80 cents a share, missing the Capital IQ Consensus Estimate of 81 cents a share by 1 cent. Revenue increased 2.5% year-over-year to $5.96 billion for the quarter. Analysts expected revenue of $5.91 billion.
Looking forward to full-year 2014 Emerson reaffirmed its guidance that sees EPS of $3.68 to $3.80 a share. Analysts expect earnings of $3.77 for the fiscal year.
"The slower than expected sales growth in the second quarter increases pressure on the second half of the year, but the strong orders inflection suggests momentum is building," chairman and CEO David N. Farr said in a press release. "Continued short-cycle orders strength and conversion of elevated backlog will be key for meeting expectations in 2014. Current demand trends indicate the pace of growth should accelerate into next year."Must read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Growth Stocks SELL NOW: If you own any of the 900 stocks that TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified as a 'Sell'...you could potentially lose EVERYTHING in the next 6-12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates EMERSON ELECTRIC CO as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate EMERSON ELECTRIC CO (EMR) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, expanding profit margins, good cash flow from operations and growth in earnings per share. Although no company is perfect, currently we do not see any significant weaknesses which are likely to detract from the generally positive outlook." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- EMR's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 2.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.54, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Along with the favorable debt-to-equity ratio, the company maintains an adequate quick ratio of 1.01, which illustrates the ability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- 42.97% is the gross profit margin for EMERSON ELECTRIC CO which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 8.24% is above that of the industry average.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $691.00 million or 24.72% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -9.56%.
- EMERSON ELECTRIC CO's earnings per share improvement from the most recent quarter was slightly positive. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, EMERSON ELECTRIC CO increased its bottom line by earning $2.76 versus $2.67 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.76 versus $2.76).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: EMR Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts