NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Athenahealth Inc. (ATHN - Get Report) are down -11.66 to $112.00 in pre-market trade after hedge fund manager David Einhorn unveiled a bet against the business services company late yesterday at the annual Sohn Investment Conference.
Shares of the company slid after Einhorn, founder of Greenlight Capital Inc., said the stock may drop 80%, the Wall Street Journal reports.
One of the few hedge-fund managers to relish talking about his shorts, Einhorn said athena and other technology stocks were indicative of a bubble, the Journal said.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 5.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 29.8%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, ATHN's share price has jumped by 30.73%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Although ATHN had significant growth over the past year, our hold rating indicates that we do not recommend additional investment in this stock at the current time.
- The gross profit margin for ATHENAHEALTH INC is rather high; currently it is at 58.16%. Regardless of ATHN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, ATHN's net profit margin of -4.94% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Health Care Technology industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1250.7% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.70 million to -$8.06 million.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Technology industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, ATHENAHEALTH INC underperformed against that of the industry average and is significantly less than that of the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: ATHN Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts