International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (NYSE:IFF), a leading global creator of flavors and fragrances for consumer products, today reported financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2014.
First Quarter 2014 Results
- Reported net sales for the first quarter totaled $770 million, an increase of 6% from $728 million in the first quarter of 2013. Excluding the impact of foreign currency, local currency sales increased 7%. As expected, our January 15 th acquisition of Aromor contributed approximately 1% of growth to the sales increase.
- Net income totaled $106.7 million, or $1.30 per diluted share, for the first quarter, compared with net income of $90.7 million, or $1.10 per diluted share, in the prior year first quarter.
- Adjusted EPS excludes the impact of restructuring and operational improvement initiative costs from the current year quarter, and a Spanish tax charge and other items impacting comparability from the prior year quarter. Adjusted EPS increased 11% to $1.32 per diluted share in the first quarter, up from an adjusted $1.19 per diluted share in the first quarter of 2013.
Please see the information and schedules at the end of this release for reconciliations of GAAP to non-GAAP financial metrics.
Management CommentaryDoug Tough, Chairman and CEO of IFF, said “We are pleased with our strong operating results in the first quarter. Our 7% local currency sales growth reflects balanced growth between our Flavors and Fragrances businesses and includes a percentage point of growth from our Aromor acquisition completed in January. We delivered solid emerging and developed market local currency sales growth of 7% and 5%, respectively, indicating the strength and diversity of our portfolio supported by a high level of technology-driven wins in attractive end-use categories. “Our 7% local currency sales growth resulted in a 14% adjusted operating profit improvement and an 11% increase in adjusted EPS, as a result of our strong operating performance. These year-over-year gains reflect the diligent and collaborative efforts of our people to leverage our consumer insights, R&D and creative capabilities to provide outstanding results to our customers and shareholders.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV