In fact, lots of money is projected to be spent on gardening tools and housewares -- a total of $812 million dollars. That exceeds what Mom's loved ones will spend on entertainment options such as books and CD's, which is $480 million.
Top 5 Things We're Buying for Mother's Day
- Brunch or Dinner: It seems the way to warm Mom's heart is through her stomach. We're taking Mom out to brunch or a nice dinner so she can take a break from the kitchen. Spending on dining out is expected to generate $3.8 billion.
- Jewelry: Can't go wrong with some bling. Whether it's that "Mom" pendant or a trendy Pandora charm bracelet, sales of jewelry are expected to rake in $3.6 billion.
- Flowers: A fresh bouquet of flowers takes the third spot with Americans spending a total of $2.3 billion. It's a predictable present, but two-thirds of those surveyed will still get a guaranteed smile from this token of their appreciation.
- Electronics: The amount to be spent on tech gadgets is tied with flowers, at $2.3 billion. However, since more gift-givers will unplug this year, it was bumped down a notch on this list.
- Gift Cards: If you really don't know what to get Mom, gift cards help ease the anxiety: 43% of gift-givers will opt for a trusty gift card and have Mom do the shopping. That's an increase from 41.5% last year. Total spending on gift cards is expected to reach $2.1 billion.
It's the Thought That Counts
In my opinion, no matter how you celebrate Mother's Day this year, nothing beats breakfast in bed, a simple hug and -- my all-time favorite -- home-made cards from the kids. The day isn't about how wide you open your wallet but showing your love and appreciation.
With that said, the NRF's survey shows total spending is projected to reach just shy of $20 billion this year -- which is much more than what was projected for Father's Day spending last year, $13.3 billion.This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV