BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Performance has been hard to come by in 2014. Since the calendar flipped to January, the S&P 500 has managed to deliver measly gains of 1.7%. That's nothing to write home about, especially considering the fact that U.S. markets were in rally mode for essentially all of 2013.
Worse, underperformance has been much easier to find: Nearly half of the 30 Dow Jones Industrial Average components are down year-to-date, and another four are up less than 1%.But there's one corner of the market that's been delivering huge outperformance this year: real estate investment trusts, better known as REITs. Since January, REITs as a group have rallied more than 15%. That has nothing to do with REITs' exposure to real estate. Instead, it's all about the dividends. Everyone seems to think that the recent performance shift away from tech names is a "flight to quality. It's not. If it were, the Dow would be doing a lot better this year. Instead, we've been seeing a flight to yield that's why other high-yield but relatively "low quality" investments like emerging market bonds and leveraged utilities have been rallying hard too. >>5 Stocks Ready to Break Out And with the big indices still in corrective mode, buying REITs is still one of the best ways to take advantage of the trend. That's why we're taking a closer look at the technical setups in five big REIT charts today... For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. Without further ado, let's take a look at five technical setups worth trading now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV