SAN DIEGO and PICKERINGTON, Ohio, May 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Shareholder rights attorneys at Robbins Arroyo LLP are investigating the proposed acquisition of R.G. Barry Corporation (NASDAQ: DFZ) by the private equity firm Mill Road Capital. On May 2, 2014, the two companies announced the signing of a definitive merger agreement pursuant to which R.G. Barry shareholders will receive $19.00 in cash for each share of common stock.
Is the Proposed Acquisition Best for R.G. Barry and Its Shareholders?
Robbins Arroyo LLP's investigation focuses on whether the board of directors at R.G. Barry is undertaking a fair process to obtain maximum value and adequately compensate R.G. Barry shareholders.
As an initial matter, the $19.00 merger consideration represents a premium of just 5% based on R.G. Barry's closing price of $18.10 on May 1, 2014. This premium is significantly below the average one day premium of over 38% for comparable transactions in the last three years. Further, the merger consideration is below the target price of $21.50 recently set by an analyst as reported by Yahoo Finance. In addition, R.G. Barry has traded above the merger consideration as recently as April 24, 2014, when it reached a high of $19.15, and the stock closed as high as $19.79 on December 20, 2013.Notably, Mill Road Capital controls nearly 10% of R.G. Barry's outstanding shares, raising the concern that Mill Road Capital is receiving preferential treatment in its acquisition of R.G. Barry. In connection with the execution of the Merger Agreement, Mill Road Capital agreed to vote its shares in favor of the agreement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV