The key for LinkedIn investors is not the user growth, but deeper penetration of the nearly 300 million users that LinkedIn already has. This will involve increasing the services it offers.
LinkedIn believes its current addressable market is 600 million knowledge workers, but there's a long-term opportunity to increase its addressable market to the 3.3 billion global workforce.
Its talent solutions segment was one of investors' key concerns when last quarter's numbers were released. User growth in this segment is slowing, but the company is doing a lot to penetrate this user base. Its InMail and enhanced search system have already been increasing recruiter and user engagement.
The next big opportunity in this segment is its sales navigator feature. LinkedIn is increasing its focus on this feature, which helps professionals target customers and market products. Just another step in trying to increase user engagement.
The other long-term opportunity is in China. LinkedIn has already launched a Web site in Chinese to cater to the very large workforce in China.
For long-term investors, the pressure in LinkedIn's shares could be presenting an exciting buying opportunity.At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. >>Read more: Carl Icahn and Activism's Positive Potential
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV