GRAND CAYMAN, Cayman Islands, May 5, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Greenlight Capital Re, Ltd. (Nasdaq:GLRE) today announced financial results for the first quarter ended March 31, 2014. Greenlight Re reported net loss of $8.9 million for the first quarter of 2014 compared to net income of $56.7 million for the same period in 2013. The net loss per share was $0.24 compared to fully diluted net income per share of $1.52 for the same period in 2013.
Fully diluted adjusted book value per share was $27.61 as of March 31, 2014, a 17.7% increase from $23.45 per share as of March 31, 2013.
Financial and operating highlights for Greenlight Re for the first quarter ended March 31, 2014 include:
- Gross written premiums of $118.9 million, compared to $127.0 million in the first quarter of 2013; net earned premiums were $111.7 million, an increase from $109.5 million reported in the prior-year period.
- Underwriting income of $6.5 million, compared to underwriting income of $1.9 million in the first quarter of 2013.
- A net investment loss of 0.7% on Greenlight Re's investment portfolio managed by DME Advisors, LP compared to a net investment gain of 5.8% in the first quarter of 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV