There's just not enough reason for insiders not to take profits, say StockTwits investors. Twitter trades at 156 times expected 2015 earnings. That's a higher multiple than other social networks such as LinkedIn (LNKD) and Facebook (FB).
Shares have been on a downward trajectory since February. They are roughly 47% lower than Twitter's all-time high of $74.73. And Barron's came out with an article over the weekend arguing that shares have further to fall. Barron's main argument is that Twitter is too pricey given its slowing user growth.
To be sure, some investors argue that Twitter might actually go up tomorrow. The high percentage short interest in the name could lead to a squeeze if the anticipated deluge of insider selling doesn't happen. Short-interest on the stock is 14% of float, according to shortsqueeze.com.
But many more investors anticipate that Twitter insiders will shed shares, if for no other reasons than to pay off taxes.
$TWTR insiders wanted to start a squeeze they just don't sell....but I'm sure many will want to take some profits..need to tax man -- RJ (@ryjo) May. 5 at 01:55 PM>>Read More: Ackman Unveils Fannie and Freddie Strategy >>Read More: Pfizer's Double Disappointment a Good Buying Opportunity At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV