In a Bankrupt City, Detroiters Have Lowest Household Debt, While Dallas Has Most
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Detroit did fall into bankruptcy, burdened under the weight of operating costs, urban blight and vacating residents.
But the Motor City consumers who stayed show that when it comes to personal debt, they are the best at having low household debt.
Experian, the Costa Mesa, Calif., credit ratings company, has a Credit Trends study saying Detroiters have the least personal debt per household of 20 major U.S. cities, at $23,604; Dallas residents have the highest, at $28,240.
When the city began sliding into insolvency in recent years -- it entered officially into Chapter Nine bankruptcy in June with between $18 billion and $20 billion of debt -- residents took notice. Maybe it was because residents saw the slide that they slashed away at their mortgage, credit card, auto and student loan debt, cutting Detroit's personal debt level fell by 7.1% over the past four years, according to Experian.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV