NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Credit Suisse Group (CS) are down -2.35% to $31.10 after the Justice Department said today it's pursuing criminal investigations of financial institutions that could result in action in the coming weeks and months, Reuters reports.
U.S. Attorney General Holder said in a video on a Justice Department website that no company was "too big to jail."
The comments came as federal prosecutors push two banks, Credit Suisse and BNP Paribas SA (BNPQY) to plead guilty to criminal charges to resolve investigations into sanctions and tax violations, respectively, sources told Reuters.
- CREDIT SUISSE GROUP has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, CREDIT SUISSE GROUP increased its bottom line by earning $1.30 versus $0.89 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.53 versus $1.30).
- Regardless of the drop in revenue, the company managed to outperform against the industry average of 7.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.3%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- 42.22% is the gross profit margin for CREDIT SUISSE GROUP which we consider to be strong. Regardless of CS's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, CS's net profit margin of -4.94% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Capital Markets industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 253.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $318.19 million to -$486.90 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$3,698.89 million or 118.25% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CS Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV