May 5, 2014
/PRNewswire/ -- EMC World 2014 --
CONNECT WITH US AT EMC WORLD:
- The mega trends of social, mobile, cloud and Big Data intensify the pressure on customers to store unprecedented amounts of data, analyze it faster and keep costs in check
- To help address this need, EMC has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire DSSD, developer of an innovative new rack-scale flash storage tier
- The DSSD architecture complements EMC's industry-leading flash storage portfolio and is designed to deliver game-changing performance for next-generation applications such as SAP HANA and Hadoop
- EMC was an early DSSD investor and development partner
- The transaction is expected to close in the second quarter of 2014
- DSSD president and CEO Bill Moore to lead the DSSD business within EMC; DSSD Chairman Andy Bechtolsheim to remain a strategic advisor
- Online: To track the latest EMC World 2014 happenings visit www.emcworld.com
- Live streaming: To view video of EMC World keynotes, general sessions, backstage sessions, and EMC TV coverage, visit http://www.emcworld.com/virtual
- Social: For continuous EMC World news and event updates, follow EMC on Twitter at @EMCWorld, @EMCCorp, and @EMCCloud, joining conversations with #EMCWORLD, and like EMC on Facebook
- Photos: View photos of EMC World on Flickr and tag your pictures with 'EMC World'
- View additional related news from EMC via EMC Pulse Blog
- Connect with EMC via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) today announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire privately-held DSSD, Inc.
-based DSSD is the developer of an innovative new rack-scale flash storage architecture for I/O-intensive in-memory databases and Big Data workloads like SAP HANA and Hadoop. The transaction is expected to close in the second quarter of 2014, subject to customary closing conditions. Financial terms were not disclosed. The transaction is not expected to have a material impact to EMC GAAP or non-GAAP EPS for the full 2014 fiscal year.
-based DSSD will operate as a standalone unit within EMC's Emerging Technology Products Division reporting to Chirantan "C.J." Desai. DSSD President and CEO
, formerly Sun Microsystems' Chief Storage Engineer, ZFS co-lead and 3Par's first employee, will lead the DSSD business within EMC.
, who is also Chairman and Chief Development Officer of Arista Networks, and formerly a co-founder of Sun Microsystems, will serve as DSSD's strategic advisor.
Cracking the Code
As customers take advantage of the mega trends of social, mobile, cloud and Big Data, it will become critical to store and analyze the vast amounts of data that do not fit into main memory. Having assembled one of the most accomplished systems and storage engineering teams in Silicon Valley, DSSD has cracked the code on this dilemma.