BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- With the first few trading sessions of May behind us, should you follow the old mantra of "sell in May and go away?"
Well, with the benefit of hindsight, selling in March and going away would have proven pretty fruitful. The S&P 500 index is no better off than it was more than two months ago, showing investors the first meaningful sideways slug in more than a year. As for May, the well-worn selling advice is more superstition than prudent market timing.For instance, last May, buying stocks was actually a very good move the S&P 500 climbed 2.3% for the month. And with the broad market effectively sitting at the end of a two-month sideways correction, the deck is stacked in buyers' favor this month. To make that most of that cycle swing, we're turning to a new set of "Rocket Stock" names worth buying this week. >>Must-See Charts: 5 Big Trades for May For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 247 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 79.41%. Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV