More Under Age 34 Seen Signing Up for Health Insurance
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- According to eHealthInsurance.com, its customers paid an average $271 for individual coverage and $667 for family coverage in the first 30 days after the Affordable Care Act open enrollment period.
That's up 38% for individual health care plans from 2013, and a rise of 57% in costs paid out on family health care plans. Health care deductibles are up significantly, too. The average annual deductible for individual plans rose 35% from last year, to $4,164. For family plans, deductibles rose to $7,771, eHealth says.
But the exchange notes that its report "provides insights into the large segment of the individual and family health insurance market which may not qualify for or elect to use government subsidies, and which may shop for coverage through sources other than government exchanges."
The report also has some good news on health insurance reform: The 18- to 34-year-old demographic -- generally the healthiest and least likely to have health insurance, but the demographic the health care system needs because it'll pay in without gobbling up resources -- seem to be playing ball.The report says that group makes up 42% of new plan signees throughout the open enrollment period. But like most Americans, health care consumers are opting to go as low as they can on price in choosing plans. eHealth says that so-called bronze plans were the most popular choice among consumers (the different health care plan categories are named after metals, with bronze the cheapest and platinum the most expensive.) here.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV