NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The old adage in geeky analyst land is that pickup truck sales are a wonderful indicator of both the health of the U.S. housing market and by extension, the economy. More dirt, gravel, and lumber piled into the bed of a construction worker's new Ford (F) F-150 or General Motor's (GM) Silverado sure sounds like a sign of a good economy. However, I encourage you to lift your eyes up from the huge Tesla (TSLA) info-attainment system for a hot second and recognize this: the United States is being invaded by HUGE alien-looking vans as it continues to recover!
Well, in truth, these alien vans I reference are actually cargo and passenger models from Mercedes-Benz, Ford, Nissan, and Dodge that are replacing outdated pieces of junk from yesteryear:
Let me tell you, the market for these huge, underpowered and overweight alien vans is on fire. Consider these stats supplied by Mercedes-Benz, the maker of the Sprinter line - the classiest of the group:
- Since 2009, the van market has grown 35%. Sprinter sales are up 155% during that time.
- Mercedes-Benz sold 163,000 Sprinters worldwide in 2013, with the U.S. (22,000) second to Germany (36,000) in terms of units sold.
- Sprinter sales rose 17.5% year over year in February.
I am sticking with my muscle cars. But, what would YOU rather drive around in 2016 as an Amazon (AMZN) same-day delivery person; an alien van or an all-aluminum Ford pickup truck that was born from the minds of Alcoa (AA)? Tweet me your responses @BrianSozzi and yes, you will receive a retweet, not just a weak favorite.Read on to see 2014's Alien Vans:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV