Apple contender: MacBook Air ($899)
Alternative: Google Chromebook ($199-$319)
That MacBook Air price is the recently announced reduced rate -- from $999.
That's it. That's Apple's low-end, base laptop and its concession to the fact that Google's been letting laptop owners in on the ground floor cheaply since 2012.Now Hewlett-Packard, Acer and Toshiba have joined Samsung in cranking out Chromebooks that are the exact same size as the MacBook Air and have similar battery life. Do they have Apple's proprietary apps and OS? Nope. But will any of that really help a nonpartisan consumer justify paying four times more for a MacBook Air when a Chromebook will get the job done? Holiday 2012 should be a decent test.
Do they have the Mac ecosystem? Nope? Do they give someone looking for an entry-level laptop a fighting chance by keeping a slim profile, using Google Drive for storage and booting up in a reasonable time? Absolutely, and it's working in a segment of the market that Apple can't even bring itself to sniff. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV