Streaming music service
Apple contender: iTunes Radio
Hey, iTunes Radio is the third most-popular streaming service only a few months after its launch! Eat that, troglodytes!
It's surpassed Spotify, it's more giant than Google Play, it's slapping around Slacker Radio, it's... wait, what? It only has 8% of the streaming market despite having more than 40% of the smartphone market? And the No. 2 streaming service -- iHeartRadio with 9% -- is basically an app for terrestrial radio? So more people like listening to regular radio with its tiny playlists and corny drive-time DJs than iTunes Radio and its streamy goodness?Yep, and that's not even the worst of it. Because it knows absolutely nothing about streaming other than the fact that consumers like it better than buying downloads, Apple has invested in it solely as a Trojan horse for download sales. That's worked out about as well as you'd expect. After Nielsen reported that music download sales fell for the first time ever in 2013, it was discovered that only 1% to 2% of iTunes Radio listeners clicked the "buy" button when listening to songs. But hey, that's better than nothing, right? And "better than nothing" is why this company still sells the iPod and will do so until it's unprofitable, right? Right, but the difference is that people once bought the iPod in droves and used it to revolutionize music. Apple's iTunes Radio is obsolete on arrival and asks users to do a whole lot more than Pandora, which gives them a passive, curated listening experience that they never have to download.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV