Apple: Apple TV ($99)
Alternative: Amazon Fire TV ($99)
We could have placed the various Roku boxes or Google's Chromecast in this mix, but it's all about the ecosystem.
The Apple kids will point to Apple TV's AirPlay function all day and blather on about integration and the wonders of your desktop and iTunes on your television. Of course, it doesn't hurt if all of your smartphone and tablet content is just in your set-top box to begin with.Amazon's player is a thing of beauty for all of the reasons Apple supporters always mention: It has access to Amazon's cloud-based content, it's integrated with your existing Amazon account for Amazon video and movies and it has access to Amazon Prime customers' streaming libraries -- which will soon include HBO content. That, right there, is the rub. Amazon's entertainment ecosystem has a streaming video option that may not be as vast as Netflix's, but is more than iTunes offers for a fee already built into its Amazon Prime delivery service. It also offers games, which are notably absent from the list of iTunes offerings. Lastly, and most importantly, it includes both Netflix and Pandora.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV