Workplace Bullying: 7 Warning Signs
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- For too many Americans, the daily grind can become a daily nightmare. According to the Workplace Bullying Institute (WBI), harassment in a job environment is an issue in desperate need of attention.
In its recent 2014 survey, the institute found 27% of American workers have suffered abusive conduct, while another 21% have witnessed it. Sadly, the organization also found that in cases of bullying, the target loses his or her job 82% of the time, whether it be by quitting or termination.
However, a caveat: the study polled only the most serious forms of bullying, that is victimization in the form of threats, intimidation, humiliation, sabotage or verbal abuse. Oftentimes, workplace bullying can encompass more subtle behavior, actions that are not clear-cut but are intended to belittle and make others feel inferior.Here are 7 subtle signs of a workplace bully, according to WBI definitions. Source: Workplace Bullying Institute, 2014 Sign #1: Ignoring, isolation and exclusion This form of abuse could involve the perpetrator:
- Deliberately ignoring or avoiding a target;
- Purposefully excluding someone from group meetings, discussions or decisions;
- Or intentionally making someone feel isolated from the team.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts