Among others, there is Oscar Mayer, Velveeta, Planters, Philadelphia, Maxwell House, Lunchables, Capri Sun, Kool-Aid and Jell-O. It is easy to see why the company's Web site says that Kraft is well known to 98% of households in the U.S.
The company's first-quarter results, released late Thursday, show some progress on earnings and free cash flow, even though the timing of a late Easter hurt sales. Earnings rose 13% and beat Wall Street estimates.
Kraft's grocery brands are what's left after the company split itself in two in October 2012, creating a snack-foods company called Mondelez (MDLZ) that includes Oreos cookies and Trident gum.
Both companies' stock has done fairly well during the past year, although both have trailed the S&P 500
Kraft's stock was trading at $56.05 at 2:15 p.m. Friday, down 1.13% for the day.Although Kraft may never be an exciting growth company, it can be a rewarding one for shareholders by keeping its brands relevant, managing its cost and putting an emphasis on cash that allows it to pay a generous dividend with a yield of 3.75%. As a lower-valued and dividend-yielding consumer-goods business, Kraft fits well into many investor portfolios. At the time of publication, the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV