NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- KCG Holdings (KCG) shares opened sharply higher Friday after the securities dealer reported first quarter earnings that rose 38.5% versus a year ago, beating analyst expectations on strong trading revenues.
Shares were up 7.27% to $11.06 shortly after the start of trading.
KCG earned $35.7 million or $0.30 per share versus expectations of $20.8 million, or $0.17. Revenues of $276.5 million compared to expectations of $245.7 million. The earnings were 23.4% higher than the fourth quarter of 2013.
KBW analyst Niamh Alexander stated in a note Friday the trading-driven earnings was partially offset by higher compensation even though pay was lower than she expected.Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV